A girl who loves to read - helping to build book culture though:

*Independent Bookstore Connections*

* Community Book Events*

*Book Reviews*

*Book News*




Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea


WOW!

I have to say, I usually shy away from thrillers and go for the more literary reads, but lately I've put a few of our new thrillers on my reading list - and what a treat!

The Ark is certainly one of the best thrillers I've read since perhaps The Da Vinci Code. I know plenty of books/authors are compared to Dan Brown - but this book is even faster paced! I stayed up way past my bed time last night, eager to get just one more page in!

In the first few chapters (I'm not giving too much away here) you have death by poisoning, a plane crash, a helicopter crash, bomb threats, and a budding romance! But its more than just the cursory elements here - you really get plot inventiveness - the author audaciously tries to tackle the biblical story of Noah's Ark - and convincingly so - showing some true confidence in storytelling, which Boyd Morrison surely possesses.

Originally available only in e-book format (where it was #1 on Kindle for e-book sales in the genre), The Ark was a pre-empt acquisition from the Touchstone imprint here at S&S. Boyd's knowledge in engineering, showcased throughout the book, derives from his PhD in industrial engineering and a former employee of both NASA and Microsoft. Boyd was even a Jeopardy! champion in 2003!

I'm only about a third of the way through - I'll post with my progress!

The Ark
Boyd Morrison
Hardcover $24.99
On sale 05/11/10

No comments:

Post a Comment