A girl who loves to read - helping to build book culture though:

*Independent Bookstore Connections*

* Community Book Events*

*Book Reviews*

*Book News*




Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Hanging Tree: A Starvation Lake Mystery


Just started The Hanging Tree this weekend, a follow-up to Bryan Gruley's Starvation Lake mystery. The Hanging Tree, also set in Starvation lake, is mystery taking place in my homestate of Michigan - small town setting in northern Michigan up near Traverse City. Quirky, likable characters make a delightful read so far. Main topics range from hockey and small town politics to journalism in the big city vs. the hometown paper.

Being a fan of the Steig Larsson books, which I loved in part of the strong female character - I'm finding myself drawn to Darlene in The Hanging Tree for her strong character profile so far. However, this reads a tad more male centric with hockey talk every other page, along with the 'fight over a woman' plot brewing.

All in all I'm hooked - the plot is quick - grabbing you with a sensational town scandal in the first few pages (as any good thriller does), but doesn't skimp on giving you character backgrounds as the plot moves along. Another mystery series I'll be eagerly awaiting for the next installment.

The Hanging Tree
A Starvation Lake Mystery
Bryan Gruley
08/03/10



View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

  1. My family members tell me that Stieg Larsson writes very good books. I myself prefer different type of books but it is fun that Scandinavian literature interest you!

    ReplyDelete